There is less than a week for Lambeth residents to have their say on major proposals to transform adult inpatient mental health services in their borough, before an NHS consultation closes on Sunday 31 May 2020.
The online survey can be found online at lambethtogether.net/lambethhospital as well as full, summary, easy-read and translated information documents and a short film which explain the proposals in detail.
Proposals would see adult inpatient services relocated from out-of-date wards at Lambeth Hospital, to new, purpose-built accommodation three miles away at the Maudsley Hospital, in Denmark Hill. All feedback will be taken into consideration before a decision is made by NHS South East London Clinical Commissioning Group in July.
Dr Adrian McLachlan, CCG Clinical Chair said:
“These proposals are part of our wide-reaching plans, including improvements to community and home-based services, to ensure that patients in Lambeth get the right care, in the right place, at the right time. Having worked closely with service users and carers, clinicians and non-clinical staff and specialist mental health architects, we believe these proposals will deliver the best quality mental health care and support for local people. But it’s vital that we hear from you – we want your views, including any other solutions or alternative options we should consider, before we make a decision.”
An online public consultation session was held live last week during which local people had an opportunity to find out more and give their views and suggestions to the project team. This was in lieu of face-to-face events which had to be cancelled due to COVID-19-based social restrictions.
The proposals aim to:
• Provide a modern, safe and therapeutic environment for service users by moving four wards and a Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) from out-dated, poor quality wards in Lambeth Hospital to safer, more modern wards in a new purpose-built building at the Maudsley Hospital, less than three miles away.
• Give patients the privacy and dignity they deserve and to meet national standards by making all wards single-sex, with en-suite bathrooms in all bedrooms, direct unsupervised access to large outdoor balconies and fresh air, family rooms and a multi-faith space.
• Improve staff morale, recruitment and retention by creating a better working environment.
The 12-week consultation is being led by NHS South East London Clinical Commissioning Group (SEL CCG), supported by South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, and looks at proposals developed over many months following input and feedback from staff, service users, carers and regulators.
Have your say
Before a decision is made, NHS SEL CCG wants to know whether you agree with the proposed move, what benefits you think the proposal could have and any concerns you have. Do you think the proposal might affect some individuals and groups more than others? Do you have any other solutions or alternative options that you think should be considered?
• Complete the online survey surveymonkey.co.uk/r/lambethhospitalconsultation
• Download a hard copy of the survey and find more information, including translated versions of the consultation documents at: lambethtogether.net/lambethhospital
• Email us your views at email@example.com
• Call our FREEPHONE number and leave a message and a member of the project team will respond: 0800 307 7650
• Write to us at: Freepost NHS MENTAL HEALTH CONSULTATION